Spiritual Adoption Program
- What is the Spiritual Adoption Program?
- How does it work?
- Who can participate?
- Who benefits from the Spiritual Adoption Program?
- Where can we get materials for the program?
The Purpose of the Spiritual Adoption Program is threefold:
- Encourage parishes, schools and other communities to pray for babies in danger of abortion.
- Educate adults and children about the development of the pre-born child.
- Provide mothers in need with assistance at a ‘baby shower’ of donated baby gifts, or simply celebrate with a ‘birthday party’ at the conclusion of the program. In some schools a crib was bought with monetary gifts and the children filled a crib with gifts for expectant Mothers.
This is done by encouraging people to “spiritually adopt” an unborn baby, and to follow their baby along the path to being born.
It’s very simple. Participants pledge to pray for nine months for a baby in danger of abortion. During each month of the program, the “spiritual parents” are given information about their baby’s development in the womb.
While this child will remain unknown to his or her ‘spiritual parent’, God knows who the child is. Many people have found that naming ‘their child’ helps to keep them focused on the reality that their prayers are helping to save a particular baby from the harm of abortion.
As the program goes along, you can send “Thank-you” notes to the participants from the baby each month. This is especially nice for school and religious education programs, and helps the participants form a genuine sense of connection with their adopted baby.
At the end of the program a ‘baby shower’ or ‘birthday party’ can be held and gifts of baby items donated given to a local pregnancy center.
The Spiritual Adoption program can be used by schools, religious education programs, or the entire parish. Basically, the program is for anyone who is concerned about abortion, and who is willing to pray for babies in danger of abortion, “that they might have life and have it to the full.” (John 10:10)
Who benefits from the Spiritual Adoption Program?
Everyone! While it is not always possible to see the particular effects of prayer, we know through Scripture that God wants us to pray, and we know by faith that He answers all prayers. The educational aspect of the program is beneficial to people of all ages, including children. Churches and schools are encouraged to display the very gentle and appealing full color posters that both depict and describe in words the baby’s development each month. There is no mention of abortion on the posters. Some schools obtain enough sets of posters for each classroom and/or entrance or exit to the school.
Where can we get materials for the program?
- An information sheet in English and Spanish giving general instructions about how to conduct the program in your parish or school.
- Pledge cards in English and Spanish.
- Prayer cards for younger and older grade-school children.
- A letter to teachers explaining the program.
- A certificate of spiritual adoption.
- Sample pulpit announcement/bulletin insert announcing the program.
- Sample bulletin inserts in English and Spanish that describe the development of the spiritually-adopted baby.
- Thank-you notes in English and Spanish.
- Information about colorful and informative posters you can use to promote the program.
All materials are available for download from the Archdiocese of New York, Family Life, Respect Life Office and Archdiocese of Baltimore
* All the above information on Spiritual Adoption is available on the Archdiocese of New York, Family Life, Respect Life Office website.