You missed your menstrual cycle this month, you take a test and get the most startling news. You are pregnant! You didn’t see it coming. What about college? What will your family and friends say? How will this fit in with your plans? Are there are other options?
These are real life questions many young girls and young women are forced to answer when dealing with an unplanned pregnancy. In 2011, the New York Times reported, “41 percent of pregnancies, excluding miscarriages, in 2009 ended in abortion” in New York City. This staggering percentage shows that many women are making the decision to have an abortion instead of looking into other options. What do you do if you are pregnant and not ready for motherhood, but also want to protect the life given to you?
The Catechism of the Catholic Church states, “God, the Lord of life, has entrusted to men the noble mission of safeguarding life, and men must carry it out in a manner worthy of themselves” (2271) . God communicates to us our role in human life once conception has happened. We are to respect and give dignity to every life. Personal preferences and fear of shame do not outweigh the value of a human life. Human life is a gift from God entrusted to us to nurture. Although, situations vary, we must keep in mind our role in the matter. Services such as adoption exist to help those who are forced to make a difficult decision.
In addition, those who have made the hard choice of abortion need to remember that God is a forgiving God. Empowering yourself with knowledge and confessing to God your sins, brings forth a closer and renewed relationship with God. There are places that can help. The Diocese has a program called Project Rachel, and it “is a network of specially trained, compassionate caregivers, including counselors and clergy, who are prepared to assist those who suffer from abortion loss.” For the young girl or woman facing this plaguing issue, you are not alone and there is help. Your life matters.
*If you or someone you know is struggling with abortion loss, please contact:
- The Respect Life Office’s confidential phone line: 1-888-456-HOPE (4673). (se habla espanol) .
- Project Rachel – www.hopeafterabortion.com | En Español: Esperanzaposaborto.org
- Sr. Elizabeth Geraghty, CSJ – Project Rachel Coordinator (516) 678-5800 x 623, email@example.com
- Respect Life Office (Diocese of Rockville Centre)
- Allison O’Brien, Director (516) 678 5800 Ext: 381. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diana Tellis – Ministry Assistant (516) 678-5800 x 626, email@example.com
- Call the 24-hour OptionLine for Crisis Pregnancy: 1-800-712-HELP (4357) or visit: www.optionline.org.
- Click here for a list of Crisis Pregnancy Centers and for a list of Maternity Residences on Long Island.