Abortion/Healing after Abortion
“I would now like to say a special word to women who have had an abortion. The Church is aware of the many factors which may have influenced your decision, and she does not doubt that in many cases it was a painful and even shattering decision. The wound in your heart may not yet have healed. Certainly what happened was and remains terribly wrong. But do not give in to discouragement and do not lose hope. Try rather to understand what happened and face it honestly. If you have not already done so, give yourselves over with humility and trust to repentance. The Father of mercies is ready to give you his forgiveness and his peace in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. To the same Father and his mercy you can with sure hope entrust your child. With the friendly and expert help and advice of other people, and as a result of your own painful experience, you can be among the most eloquent defenders of everyone’s right to life. Through your commitment to life, whether by accepting the birth of other children or by welcoming and caring for those most in need of someone to be close to them, you will become promoters of a new way of looking at human life. .” (Evangelium Vitae no. 99, John Paul II)
If you are experiencing an unexpected pregnancy and need help, visit OPTIONLINE.ORG forinformation on options and resources.
Hope after Abortion
“God alone is the Lord of life from its beginning.
“I would now like to say a special word to women who have had an abortion… do not give in to discouragement and do not lose hope…the Father of mercies is ready to give you His forgiveness and His peace in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.” (Evangelium Vitae no. 99, John Paul II)
Project Rachel is a network of specially trained, compassionate caregivers, including counselors and clergy, who are prepared to assist those who suffer from abortion loss.
For more information, visit the Project Rachel Hope After Abortion website, call the Respect Life Office’s confidential phoneline: 1-888-456-HOPE(se habla espanol) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to begin healing after abortion loss.
En Español: Esperanzaposaborto.org
“I pray for forgiveness for us all and for our hard hearts to be touched by Jesus Christ.
My child forgives me. This I know by special graces. That is the icing on the cake, because I know that Christ forgave me long ago. Sacramental penance and laying her properly to rest through Project Rachel are invaluable [paths to] healing.” (Quote taken from Hope After Abortion, www. hopeafterabortion.com)
“I want you to know I went to Confession tonight [as you suggested in answering my letter to HopeAfterAbortion]. I was terrified. Needlessly. The priest who heard my confession was not disgusted by me, or angry with me. He never stopped smiling at me even as I revealed my ugliest sins. He was gentle, kind, and loving. Of course, this made me cry. Hard. He was patient. He absolved me of my sins. Told me I was worthy of all God’s kingdom. So not what I expected. This website planted a seed of hope in my heart that I could really be forgiven. God took it from there. Thank you so much for being there in a way that didn’t make me feel dirty or contemptible. For making me feel human again.” (Quote taken from Hope After Abortion, www. hopeafterabortion.com)
If you have suffered from abortion, you may be experiencing:
Guilt, shame, anxiety, depression, nightmares, substance abuse, eating disorders, suicidal thoughts.
These are some of the symptoms of Post-Abortion Stress. The pain is real, but you do not have to suffer alone. Our God of Mercy wants to heal you and give you the peace He desires you to have. There are people dedicated to helping you– do not be afraid to reach out for help.
ENTERING CANAAN, Prayer and Healing Retreats, help those suffering the effects of abortion. We offer a safe place, a way out of the pain, in a non-judgmental atmosphere. All retreats are led by the Sisters of Life and women who have experienced both the suffering of abortion and the joy of healing in Christ. The retreats are directed by faithful priests who have a sensitivity and a heart for those who suffer. They include witnesses of mercy, Scripture sharing, personal prayer, opportunity for Sacramental Confession, and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
Our Days and Weekends of Prayer and Healing include: Stories of mercy, scripture sharing, the Sacrament of Reconciliation, personal prayer, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and quiet time. Days of Prayer & Healing: Testimonies & FAQs
For more information visit: www.sistersoflife.org
DAYS OF PRAYER & HEALING
Saturday, May 20, 2017
Saturday, June 17, 2017
(Long Island Location)
Saturday, December 9, 2017
(Long Island Location)
Diocese of Rockville Centre Day of Prayer and Healing for Women
Saturday, June 17, 2017
(Long Island Location)
Are you, or a man you know, suffering the loss of a child through abortion?
The message of abortion has been confusing for men. They are told it is a “women’s choice” and that they have no rights regarding their unborn child. In fact, it is true. Men have no legal rights in an abortion decision, yet, if a woman aborts and is then suffering, they often feel as if they have failed her by not protecting or stopping her! No Wonder it is Confusing! Some men have used abortion as a means to avoid responsibility for their actions. Others did not want abortion, and were willing to take responsibility but were unable to prevent the abortion from happening. Some men may be married to women who are suffering as a result of a past abortion and her struggles are effecting their relationship. Some men don’t recognize what they have done until they have future children.
There are countless men who are suffering just like you are.
You have a right to your feelings !
There is help available.
(Text from Lumina website)
Project Rachel Video
If you are having trouble viewing video click here.
Please note: a black space may be shown if you are using Internet Explorer.
Project Rachel Materials
Project Rachel MaterialsPrayer for the Ministry of Project Rachel Father, source of healing and forgiveness, we pray for all parents overwhelmed by grief and sorrow at the loss of their son or daughter to abortion: You never abandon those who hope in you; so we pray that the hearts of those wounded by their abortion might be open to your Divine Mercy that they would know the grace of repentance and so experience the embrace of the Father. We pray that Jesus, the Good Shepherd, so rich in love and compassion, may hear the cry and see the tears of each of these mothers and fathers so He may heal their broken hearts and restore them to life. Give these grieving mothers and fathers the consolation of believing and trusting that her child is now living in the Lord that this may soothe the terror of their soul. We pray that the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of all tenderness and our Mother, may strengthen their faith in You. We ask this through Christ our Lord, who conquered sin and death, and who lives with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Prayer: Trust in God’s Mercy Gracious Father, I thank you for the mercy you have shown in forgiving my sins and for the peace that comes from being reconciled with you and with your Church. O God, you are faithful, and you never abandon those who hope in you. I know that my redemption from sin and death has been purchased at the cost of your Son’s blood. In return for this priceless gift, I resolve today to renew my trust in your unfailing mercy. In times of doubt, when painful memories of past sins threaten to destroy the peace you have given, let the power of your Holy Spirit cast out all self-condemnation and give me greater confidence in your word of pardon. Teach me to encourage others so they, too, may seek your tender compassion and come to know your peace, which nothing can take away. I pray this in the name of Jesus, your Son, in whom you have restored me to life. Amen.
Prayers and Blessings
Brochures and Bulletin Inserts
- Project Rachel Prayer – Printable Prayer 8.5 x 11 | Printable Prayer Card
- A Prayer To Our Lady Of Guadalupe – (En Español)
- Prayer for Healing – (Oración de sanación)
- Trust in God’s Mercy
- Intercessions for Those Involved in Abortion – (Intercesiones para los que participan en el aborto)
- Intercessory Prayers: Post Abortion Healing – (Oraciones De Intercesión: Publicar Aborto Healing)
- Prayer to Our Lady (Gospel of Life)
- Project Rachel Brochure | Proyecto Raquel
- Project Rachel Bulletin Insert
- Reigning Mercy Flyer
- Diocese of Rockville Centre Day of Prayer and Healing for Women Long Island – word document | PDF
- Entering Canaan Days of Prayer & Healing
- Entering Canaan Days of Prayer & Healing For Women
- Entering Canaan Days of Prayer & Healing For Men
- Bridges of Mercy for Post-Abortion Healing – ( Vías De Misericordia Para La Sanación Posaborto )
- How to Talk to a Friend Who’s Had An Abortion – (Cómo hablarle a una amiga que ha tenido un aborto)
- Healing within Marriage from an Abortion – (La sanación en el matrimonio después de un aborto)
- Forgiveness And Healing After Abortion – (En Español)
- Pregnancy From Rape – (En Español)
- Portraits of Grief in the Aftermath of Abortion – (Retratos de sufrimiento por las secuelas del aborto)
- My Thoughts on Project Rachel – Blog (En Español)
- Project Rachel: In the Heart of the Church – Proyecto raquel: en el corazón de la iglesia
- Long Island Catholic Article – Project Rachel: Post Abortion Healing
- “The Hollow Men”: Male Grief and Trauma Following Abortion, Vincent M. Rue, Ph.D., Respect Life Program, 2008 (en español)
- Project Rachel: In the Heart of the Church, USCCB, 2007 (en español)
- Reclaiming Fatherhood, Life Insight, September/October 2007
- Divine Mercy in My Soul, by Theresa Bonopartis, 2000 (en español)
- No One Told Me I Could Cry by Connie Corso Nykiel – Connie Corso Nykiel writes from her wealth of experience as a nurse working with pregnant young women and grieving women. Hers is a message of joy and hope for those who have experienced abortion. She reveals how it is only in grieving that they can find healing and truly be reconciled to God and their child. Through the guidance of an experienced professional, they can learn to cry and find fullness of life. This books is a treasured guide to healing for those who have experienced abortion. It also provides an abundance of information for teachers, counselors, pastors, social workers, health care workers and all those who work with post abortive and/or pregnant teens.
Church Documents and Teachings
“Life is always a good. …The life which God gives man is quite different from the life of all other living creatures, inasmuch as man … is a manifestation of God in the world, a sign of his presence, a trace of his glory. … Man has been given a sublime dignity, based on the intimate bond which unites him to his Creator: in man there shines forth a reflection of God himself.”2
Each human being is unique, unrepeatable, and infinitely precious to God. In becoming man and by his death on the cross, Jesus showed us the incomparable value of each human life, making his human life the “instrument of the salvation of all humanity!” (The Gospel of Life, no. 33).