On January 22 our nation will mark the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court decision that made abortion legal throughout the U.S. Since that tragic decision, more than 56 million children’s lives have been lost to abortion, and many suffer that loss — often in silence.
Join thousands of Catholics across the country in prayer for a Culture of Life from Saturday, Saturday, January 21, 2017 – Sunday, January 29, 2017.
For more information visit usccb.org
Below are resources to help you as you part-take in 9 Days for life.
Flyers and Media Resources
Flyers and Media Resources
- 9 Days for Life | 9 Días por la Vida
- 9 Days For Life Bulletin Announcements | 9 Días Por La Vida Avisos
- Social Media Resources | Gráficos, imágenes y medios de comunicación social
- Further Resources
- 9 Days For Life Novena – 2017 | 9 Días Por La Vida 2017
- Holy Hour for Reparation and Healing
- Order for the Blessing of Pro-Life Pilgrims Before Their Journey
- Order for the Blessing of Pro-Life Pilgrims As They Return from Their Journey
- Rito Para La Bendición De Los Peregrinos Pro Vida | Versión para imprimir
- Pro-Life Rosary Prayer Intentions
- Intercesiones Del Rosario Pro Vida
- Additional Pro-Life Prayer Resources
9 Days For Life: FAQ
9 Days For Life: FAQ
Taken from the USCCB ( http://www.usccb.org/about/pro-life-activities/january-roe-events/9-days-for-life-summary.cfm)
WHAT IS 9 DAYS FOR LIFE?
- 9 Days for Life is an annual period of prayer and action focused on cherishing the gift of every person’s life.
- Surrounding the Day of Prayer for the Legal Protection of Unborn Children*, the overarching intention of the centerpiece novena is the end to abortion.
- However, the novena also highlights many other facets of respecting each other’s God-given dignity, especially by respecting human life at every stage and in every circumstance.
- 9 Days for Life is an opportunity to:
*Typically observed each year on January 22 (also the anniversary of Roe v. Wade), the 2017 observance will be January 23. More information.
WHEN IS IT?
- Saturday, January 21, 2017 – Sunday, January 29, 2017
WHO IS INVITED TO PARTICIPATE?
- Anyone can join individually at www.9daysforlife.com!
- However, leaders in parishes and various parish ministries, as well as in schools, dioceses, and other organizations, are especially important in raising awareness and helping others participate in various ways.
WHAT ARE SOME WAYS TO PARTICIPATE?
- PRAY: The novena’s short prayer guides highlight a different topic each day with five sections: intention, prayers, reflection, suggested actions, and related topical information.All the following options for obtaining the novena will be accessible from www.9daysforlife.com in the months leading up to January.
- Subscribe to receive daily text messages or emails.
- Download the free mobile app from iTunes or Google Play. (An update notification will be sent to app users prior to the 2017 novena.)
- Join the Facebook event.
- Follow the USCCB on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.
- Download the novena in a printable format.
- GATHER: Join together with others in prayer, action, and fellowship. Organize or attend local events sponsored by dioceses, parishes, schools, etc., and/or host private gatherings of friends and family.
- Ideas for sponsored events: Special blessing at send-off Mass or Holy Hour for pilgrims attending a march or rally (suggested blessing available online: “Order for the Blessing of Pro-Life Pilgrims before Their Journey“); service project related to one of the topics highlighted in the novena; workshop on chastity, Theology of the Body, or sexual ethics.
- Ideas for private gatherings: Potluck dinner with discussion; lunch hour prayer with co-workers; movie night of age-appropriate films addressing life issues.
- Share how you participated in 9 Days for Life on a particular day, why you are participating, or what being pro-life means to you.Post your filled-in “selfie sign” (en español) or a 5-15 second video using #9DaysforLife and tagging @USCCB on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. We’ll pick from the best to share!
- You can use the special cover photo and/or profile picture for your social media accounts from January 21-29, 2017 (or longer)!
- Use the social media kit with pre-written posts to share the novena’s daily intentions, as well as other respect life images and information.
WHY ARE THE BISHOPS ASKING US TO JOIN?
- Each January 22 our nation marks the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court case which legalized abortion during all nine months of pregnancy. Since that tragic decision, more than 56 million children’s lives have been lost to abortion, and many suffer that loss—often in silence.
- As Catholics, we recognize the inherent dignity of every person in every circumstance and at every stage of life—from conception to death. Yet we continue to see many threats to life and violence against it. We cannot look the other way. As Pope Francis note during his visit to the United States, our “care for one another is care for Jesus himself.”
IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD KNOW?
You can sign up any time of year at www.9daysforlife.com! Throughout the year, the webpage features email and text message subscription options for monthly messages structured like the novena’s daily prayer guides. (By signing up, you’ll also automatically receive the novena in January.)
Related pages are accessible throughout the year, and there will be more information on 9 Days for Life prominently displayed on www.9daysforlife.com during the time leading up to January 21, 2017.